Saturday, October 21, 2006

Why Smells Like Calvin Spirit?

Why is my blog named after Calvin???? Hmmm... I had a lot of names on my mind before I settled on this name. Before I could start off with this blog, I had published one more blog. I had named it as some chronicle.... Well it was a long time back. So why am I ruminating about the name of my blog now? Well its been more than a year since I published my first post and its been alomost 5 months since I published anything on my blog. A lot of things has been happening in this last four months and blogging sure was not one of them. Today I was looking thro' all my posts and felt suddenly that I have been missing something in this last five months and I have decided to correct it. Well, I have decided to blog again, albeit in a very small and few and far between posts way, I have decided better late than never.

Well I guess I deviated a bit from the topic I started with. What was it? Yeah, why is my blog called "Smells like Calvin Spirit". As I said, I had a lot of names on my mind for my blog. I wanted it to sound a bit cranky, sound more like me. Already I had tried my hands at a blog, a very serious one at that and felt miserable when I looked back at the posts I had published in that blog. The blog looked more of a daily journal rather than what I wanted it to be. I wanted the blog to be an extension of me rather than just a daily journal of all my mundane activities. But, it was not a bad experience all together. It gave me the first taste of what blogging was and it taught me what I wanted and not wanted from my blog.

Again I guess I am deviating from my topic. But, I thought a bit of history was needed before I could give you the actual reason for picking this name for my blog. Those were the days when I was really feeling lonely and I had very few friends. All I was doing then was work from morning to evening, go back home, eat food and sleep. I also used to get a lot of Calvin mails those days and used to love reading them. Like Calvin had Hobbes as his companion, I made Calvin my companion. I used to think so much like Calvin, even though I knew he was just a fictional charecter born out of someone's imagination. He felt so real and true to me and so close to what I felt and feel even now. That's when I decided I would dedicate a blog to my companion Calvin. But, I didnt want the blog to entirely be a collection of Calvin Strips. I wanted it to contain topics which would have the free wheeling, out of the box thinking essence depicted by this tiny kid Calvin. I wanted topics with a bit of mean streak, a bit of nonsensical humor, procrastination, opinionated about anything and everything that goes on around him and everything that depicted the spirit of Calvin and made him an immortal in people's minds. Voila, what better name than Calvin Spirit. But it still didnt have that ring to it. Then the Nirvana song started playing on my head phones. Smells like teen spirit. Nothing else could take my mind away from the name of my new blog. It had to be SMELLS LIKE CALVIN SPIRIT. I didnt give a damn about what people thought about the name then neither do I give a damn now. But, looking back at all the posts I have made on this blog I dont regret about it like I did with my earlier blog. Neither does it look like a mundane daily journal. I feel I have kept the spirit of Calvin alive in me still when I look at the blog.

I may have stopped blogging for a while now. Maybe the very reason I had started this blog is no more a reason. I have lots of friends for company now. I dont feel I am lonely now. Maybe I ignored my old pal Calvin for the new ones I made. I am feeling a sort of guilt for not being able to give attention to my friend in the times of my loneliness. Does this mean I am lonely again? Nope, certainly not. But, that doesnt mean I have to look down on my blog right? So I guess I have made up my mind to make blogging a part of my life again. And who better to share my thoughts at this point of my life than my pal, my companion, Calvin who is the spirit of my blog.

I think I have bored yuo enough now. Which is not what this blog is meant for. I made this blog to entertain myself and the few people who might love to read it. I guess I have lost the faith of some people who might have been visiting my blog. I wish to repay them back in whatever small way I can. So, in true Calvin spirit, let the journey to finding Utopia begin.

1 comment:

Th. said...

.

So....whatever happened?